– Garbage can: principle and operation
– Putting the garbage can in the garbage can: a principle that has proved its worth
There are 2 types of garbage cans for individuals and municipalities
The selective sorting allows the recycling of waste at the source and implies the good use of the following:
– garbage can,
– garbage bag.
Garbage can: principle and functioning
The garbage can is a container to collect waste to avoid piling up. It is of various shapes and sizes, depending on the aesthetic objective or capacity:
– it can contain between 80 and 1,100 liters,
– It has an opening system and usually a lid to prevent the spread of bad smells and to hide the sight of the garbage,
– It can be equipped with a pedal to facilitate its opening.
The garbage can is available in different materials: stainless steel, plastic, steel, etc.
Trash can: a proven principle
The trash can dates back to the invention of Eugene Poubelle in 1884. Since then, the principle has remained unchanged:
– the city is responsible for providing the garbage cans and collecting them,
– individuals deposit their garbage bags in containers,
– the containers are taken to the street or yard on collection days,
– garbage collectors drive by with their garbage trucks to pick up the contents of the container,
– the waste is taken to the landfill and dispatched to the appropriate recycling centers.
2 types of garbage cans: individuals and municipalities
There are two garbage cans: indoor (home) and municipal.
At home: indoor garbage cans
Indoor garbage cans are both practical and aesthetically pleasing. In the home, each garbage can has a specific function:
– general wastebasket: in the kitchen, receives loose household waste,
– Wastepaper basket: usually placed near the office,
– Table waste garbage can: for food waste,
– other garbage cans: bathroom, toilet, garage, laundry room, etc.
Some high-end trash cans incorporate today’s concerns:
– garbage cans equipped with several containers for selective sorting,
– Hygiene is an infrared motion detection system designed to open without touching the lid.
Note: the most famous trash can is the Vipp model, a pedal-operated tube.
Outdoor litter garbage cans for the cleanliness of public spaces
In the street, for the cleanliness of the public area, many garbage cans are installed and maintained by the city. There are two types of outdoor garbage cans:
PUBLIC GARBAGE CANS
|Types of garbage cans
|All waste” garbage cans: household waste, cigarette butts…
|– Transparent bag (Vigipirate plan).
– Classic plastic or metal garbage cans, open or closed.
– Wrought iron garbage cans.
– Garbage cans for specific needs (e.g., to keep bears away in nature parks).
– Recycling garbage cans (festivals, beaches) with space for cans.
|Sorting garbage cans
|Neighborhood, home, or residential containers designed to receive certain types of waste sometimes have a specific color code:
– Household waste garbage can: the largest,
– Plastic bottle garbage can: with a top opening for bottles only,
– glass garbage can: equipped with a specific opening,
– cardboard and paper garbage can,
– garment garbage can: the deposit instructions are indicated on it,
– Dumpster: for construction waste,
– specific collection container: Batribox, for example (for batteries).
Good to know: the syndic will have an obligation to inform the co-owners on the local rules applicable as regards selective sorting of household waste and the methods of access to the waste collection centers on which the co-ownership depends.
This information will have to be posted in a visible way in the spaces assigned to the deposit of household waste by the occupants of the condominium and be transmitted at least once a year to the tenants and co-owners.